Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Easter Bunny works for 'The Man'!!

Yeah, that's right I said it!! The Easter Bunny is a total sell-out in my opinion and has turned this holiday into a consumerist vortex - like all the other Holiday icons! It's a total shame because the whole meaning of Easter is lost on a fictional critter running around dropping off eggs, candy, gifts, and more candy into our homes and distributing to our children.

Now let me just say that as a child I was totally a 'Team Easter Bunny' fan! What kid wouldn't be a fan of something/someone that drops off an overabundance of candy at your home once a year?? For me, Easter even rated above Halloween because at least with Easter, I didn't have to go out and peddle my own candy - Easter was a freebie!

But now that I've moved over to the parent realm of things, I don't see this event in the same light. I'm still a little fuzzy on how a holiday to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus = Cuddly bunny with candy??? Apparently, when googling some things (a new favorite past time - *wink*) I've come to find that the whole 'bunny' thing is a result of European and Middle Eastern pagan religious celebrations/customs of springtime fertility. WOW! Still can't see how it's connected to Jesus. But it looks like it's a common practice in many instances of history - you don't like something about religion so what do you do?? . . . . you go, incorporate your own watered down, irrelevant customs and call it something totally different to accommodate your own selfish beliefs/wants/etc.
So what does this mean for the modern day 'Easter Bunny'?? An annual holiday slathered in an endless array of candy, candy, candy, BUY, BUY, BUY! . . . . oh and of course Easter ham, coloring eggs, and a plethora of other Easter items on sale at your disposal - like at Wal-Mart where you can get $2 bags of candy. *sheepishly grinning at my own guilt*

YES - despite my cynicism on the whole event and my aversion to continually feel obligated to spend more money than I'd like on my little munchkins - it is still a slightly fun holiday. I am still reluctant to admit - but sometimes I am guilty of all the consumerism that shrouds the meaning of this holiday (and even Christmas) but that doesn't mean there's no hope for me. . . or you. ;)

This Easter Weekend is as good a time as ever to make sure I'm instilling the real meaning of the holiday and sharing the sacrifice and blessings that Jesus gave to us all with my children. Maybe along the way, I'll grow in my own faith and need the security and chocolate that comes along with the Easter Bunny a little less next year!!

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL AND GOD BLESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment