Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sticks and stones


"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!" . . . .

That famous old adage from childhood. *Sigh* If only I knew then what I know now. Words do hurt and it's in those words that so many of us hide. Hide from being shamed. Hide from feeling 'less than'. Hide from being a disappointment. Hide from low self-esteem. Hide from hurt, anger, resentment, sadness. But in reflection I realize that those words belonged to someone else. Those feelings weren't mine. They were the negative thoughts born out of someone else's dysfunction, spoken from their lips and thrust into my heart to make me become less so they can become, in their eyes, more. I have been sacrificed for the benefit of someone else. . . . my welfare a total unconcern. Those meant to help were only in place to harm. Because I wasn't with them, I am automatically deemed 'against them'.

It wasn't until I realized my own self-worth, separate from those words, that I could rise above the labels & demands put on me. I no longer had to play that 'role'. I used to feel bad for myself, sorry for what I endured while blindly believing they would change. But I don't as much anymore. Now I feel bad for them. Sad that those negative words in their own heart are all that their life will amount to. Pitiful. On a mission searching endlessly for someone else to 'dump' their thoughts on . . . . those negative,toxic words that truly describe the wickedness in their own core.

3 comments:

  1. Nice turn around from hoping they will change to feeling sad that they won't. This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Lady When does your book come out? Seriously, I have been doing book reviews for my WOW BookClub and this is the beginning of an awesome book! God has great plans for you BashWorld, Jeremiah 29:11

    You bring Hope of Restoration out of the Pit of the KoN. This is one of the BEST pieces you have written -- which says a lot because you are a gifted writer. Your Gift is from God that you maintained while being born and raised in the KoN. You have the Spirit of the Warrior Women. You are a Women of Worth, and I would like to personally invite you to check out our group, https://www.facebook.com/thewomenofworth

    Please keep up your writing, and I am looking forward to reviewing your book for our WOW BookClub.

    Blessings to you and your Beautiful Family,
    Love,
    Letting Go

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!
    And Soaring Dove - I found the WOW FB page and clicked 'like'. . . . thnx for the link. Looks like LOTS of great info/status lines for me to read & ponder!!
    Also am part of Warrior Women Arise and the Faithful Provisions pgs you suggested. :)

    p.s. This is Brash but blogspot keeps screwing up w/my Google log-in???? UGH!

    ReplyDelete